Chiropractic and Pregnancy
Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
At Back and Neck Center, we know that pregnancy can create a wide range of physical and emotional reactions. Our team of chiropractic experts can provide you with added help in maintaining your overall state of health during pregnancy and can offer some proven solutions for back pain and other issues that can sometimes arise when you are expecting. Here are some of the most important reasons to consider chiropractic care during your pregnancy.
Physical Effects of Pregnancy on Your Body
Even during the earliest stages of pregnancy, the human body changes in some important ways. Hormonal production can often shift into overdrive, causing added stress and emotional upset. The added weight and pressure on the spine and pelvis during the later months of pregnancy can cause back pain and other issues. Some of the most common issues experienced by pregnant women include the following:
- Misalignment of the spine caused by added weight in the abdomen, especially during the last few months of pregnancy
- Aching legs and feet because of increases in overall weight
- Poor posture and slumping that can cause pain in your shoulders and back
At Back and Neck Center, we can provide you with practical guidance and solutions for these issues. By addressing issues with the alignment of the spine and pelvis during pregnancy, our team can help to make this process much easier and less stressful for women throughout this natural process.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Taking time out for an adjustment or treatment can help you to resolve issues with lingering back pain, discomfort and other problems that can sometimes go along with the later months of pregnancy. Some of the most important benefits of professional chiropractic care during pregnancy include the following:
- Improved spinal alignment for easier mobility, especially as your pregnancy progresses
- Reduced middle and lower back pain
- Better posture and improved pelvic support and positioning to promote an easier delivery
- Shorter labor times for some patients
- Increased room for your baby to grow
- Improved chances that you can have natural childbirth rather than a c-section
In some cases, the right chiropractic services may even promote improved muscle tone and may reduce symptoms of nausea early on in pregnancy. Back and Neck Center can help you achieve better health and a more positive attitude throughout all trimesters of your pregnancy.
Is Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy Safe?
For most women, chiropractic care can provide relief from pain and improved alignment of the pelvis and the spine when they are expecting a child. For some women, however, the risks of these treatments may outweigh the benefits. Consult with your physician immediately if you are experiencing any of the following conditions:
- Vaginal bleeding or unusual discharge
- Placenta previa or detachment of the placenta from the uterine wall
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Toxemia, especially more severe cases of this condition
We take special care to accommodate the growing child inside you by providing you with the most comfortable and practical solutions for adjusting your spine and providing you with gentle massage and manipulation of muscles and tissues. Our team of chiropractic professionals can also show you how to stretch and to maintain good posture at home and at work, allowing you to ensure that your pregnancy goes as smoothly as possible.